Lately, it seems that my darling daughter either requires my undivided attention or otherwise is forever getting into things she shouldn't be. When these type of scenarios happen, I turn to homemade play dough because it works for me!- By making your own play dough, you can customize the colors to fit the current holiday - or in my daughter's case, she prefers it to always be either red and or blue. Something about these colors just keeps her entertained for HOURS.
- It’s less expensive than the store bought stuff and we're all about that in this house.
- The texture is so soft and smooth that I sometimes stop what I am doing to sit and play along.
- It does not get all crumbly like the store bought stuff
- My favorite thing about homemade play dough… if my 13 month old decides it looks good enough to eat… I do not have to worry about her eating scary chemicals.
Here are some of the recipes I use...
Play Dough #1
1 c. flour
1/3 c. salt
1 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water
food coloring
Mix all together and place over low heat. Stir often until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes. Turn out onto waxed paper and cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Play Dough #2
2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. alum
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 c. salt
1 Tbsp. oil
food coloring
Heat to boiling the water, salt, oil and food coloring. Stir liquids into dry ingredients. Knead until smooth. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.






