Kathie
Photobucket
If you are anything like me, you spend all day online looking at news, checking e-mail, maybe even chatting? Wouldn't it be great if you could save money while you're at it? There are so many different online clubs and services now that will allow you to save in "real life", offline! Here are a few of my favorite sites:

1. Taking a road trip this Summer? Check out GasBuddy.com for the lowest gas prices for ultimate savings on your trip, or even use it to check the lowest prices in your neighborhood! This little handy dandy feature has saved me quite a few bucks over the last year. I'm certain it will for you as well.

2. Like to read but don't like to pay for books, or maybe your like me and have no time to get to your library, check out Paperbackswap.com . You can trade books with people all over the country, you are responsible for mailing out books but it can be cheaper than buying from the bookstore! How about DVD's? Paperbackswap has a sister site that works just the same Swapadvd.com.

3. Missed a favorite tv show, maybe you can not afford an extra fee each month for aDVR box, or maybe you *gasp* don't have cable! Check out Hulu.com, where you can watch current tv shows such as House, The Office and more and you can also watch movies, or check out the major networks web sites directly, they also will replay current episodes of their shows!

4. Looking to get rid of some old furniture or items around the house but do not want to pay someone to come pick it up, maybe you have an old pool and you can't afford to buy a new one, request one from Freecycle.org. Freecycle is basically what the title says, recycled items for free. One mans junk is another mans treasure should be the motto for this site. If you regularly check you can find some great items too, all for free!

5. Shop around. If you plan to make a purchase online, check every where you can. Many stores offer an online matching or low price guarantee. If you happen to see the store you like has one of these guarantees it pays to shop around. I cannot tell you how many times i've saved a ton of money because of this. If not anything else, this is where the internet proves to be most valuable for my family.

6. Printable coupons. Check out sites like http://www.coupons.com/ or just look around my blog and you will see links to printable coupons. Just because the Sunday paper does not have a certain products coupon, does not mean it is not out there somewhere. Check manufacturer websites too.

7. Skip calling 411 and check out whitepages.com or yellowpages.com, all the same information you would find in the phone book except right online at your computer! I also love to use whitepages.com for "reverse lookups" when I have a number but need a mailing address. If they are listed, they are there.

Find more Works for Me Wednesday tips at Rocks in My Dryer.
3 Responses
  1. Elizabeth D. Says:

    Thanks for the reminder about GasBuddy - I'd forgotten all about them! Now that gas prices have hiked up again, I better check out GasBuddy again.

    P.S. - I left something special for you on my blog. It might just be an award for you!


  2. Tracy Says:

    Great tips! I have been using Paperback Swap for a little over one year now and I LOVE it!! There are so many books that are available and it's a great way to recycle books you don't care to keep. I'm a big reader and I haven't purchased a novel in a very long time because of this site:)


  3. Kathie Says:

    Thanks Elizabeth! You're such a sweetie.

    Tracy - I love that site also. I have not purchased a book since finding the site. I do not have as much time to read nowadays like I used to but I sure love a good read. That site is GREAT! I'm glad you use it also. =)