Kathie
Photobucket

Yesterday I started a new fitness program - a Girls Gotta Move 5k Training program to be exact. Being a first time 5k runner I thought it would be best to go the First 5k training route versus the Fasted 5k traing program route. I am not really training for a particular 5k race in my area. Actually, I cannot seem to find one in or around my area right now to even sign up for. I do know that our local hospital has one every year around May. If they have it again this year, I will sign up and it will, in fact, be my very first 5k race. I'll be honest, i'm a little excited. Even if I do not sign up for a race this year I am hoping that this training program will give me the training I need to be able to run outdoors in the upcoming season.  I've always been a treadmill runner and let's be real - it can be rather boring and tedious. Give me the fresh air and outdoors anytime - plus, then I can run with Little Bear and she can get outdoors and enjoy the fresh air too!

Training yesterday was short and simple - 25 minutes of walk/runs. I ran at a 5.0 speed and walked at a 3.5 speed. I could have very easily ran at a 6.0 but thought it best that since it was the beginning of the program to start off fairly easy.  It worked out well but in the end I ended up tacking on an additional 3/2 segment. I am slightly OCD so I had to have it round off to 30 minutes. Plus, I felt like I could use a little more movement since I didn't push myself during the running speed.

After my workout, I felt great. (Don't we all after a workout?!)  Here's what my handy, dandy, trusty Polar F6 told me after I was done.....

Stats

Time: 30:37
In Zone: 29.19
Avg HR: 145
Max HR: 167
Calories Burned: 224

All and all, not too shabby if I do say so myself.  I'm quite pleasantly pleased with those results.
Today's activities are cross-training and as of right now i'm not sure if i'll do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, EA Sports Active's 30 Day Challenge (That i've been doing for the last three weeks) or the full-body workout that Genie gave me early on. Ideally, no matter what on cross-training days I will be doing full body workouts to supplement my training. Rest Days will either be supplemented with yoga, stretching, pilaties, cardio coach workouts or full blown rest. We'll see what happens the first two weeks as ideally they'd prefer you to take both cross training days and rest days as full rest days. I think maybe for these first two weeks i'll just do yoga/stretching on the rest days. We'll see how my body feels and what it tells me.

Photobucket
Labels: edit post
0 Responses